Posts Tagged ‘mother’
Okay, lets face it, having the privilege to call yourself a wife and a mom isn’t always glamorous. Especially if you are a “stay at home” mom. Especially if you are a “have a job” mom. Especially if you are a ” teach your own kids school” mom. It’s all hard, tiresome work. We moms know what it is like to be utterly and completely exhausted. We are spent. Their isn’t anything left for us to give at the end of the day.
Do you know what advise your husband probably got before he married you? “Hey, don’t get married and have kids! Do you know what that means?!!” And with raised eyebrows they say, “No more sex.” They shake their heads with horrified eyes, “Don’t do it,. I’m speaking from experience, man.” And your fiancé triumphantly thinks, “That’s not going to happen to me. My sweetie loves me!”
Well, yes. Of course you love your husband. That hasn’t stopped just because you got married and had kids. If anything, it has intensified your love. After all, everything you do everyday comes from a loving heart. “There just isn’t enough of me to go around.”, you may say. “I just can’t do it all.”
Here is where your journey starts. You may ask, “What are you talking about? I have been on my journey the day I got married!” I say, “Yes, you have been on your own journey, by yourself, working hard, all on your little lonesome. Just you and you.” How is that working out for you?
Until anyone comes to the place where they say, “I can’t do this anymore. I need help. I need advise. I’m ready to learn.” Then and only then are they truly ready to get wisdom from someone who has been in their place many times before. Someone who understand. Someone who has made it through with Help.
1. I would say first and foremost on your journey, you need to realize that we live in a fallen world. We are going to fail. Our husband is going to fail. And our children will try to embarrass and harass us at every turn. It is what it is.
2. So how do we live in this fallen world with all these failing people? First God commands us to love them. Not love them for what they do for us. Not love them when they perform the way we think they should. Not love ourselves only when we do what we think we should. Who is being the judge here? Who is deciding what is acceptable and what is not? Who is the one that needs to be satisfied in order to have peace and joy?
3. God is the judge. Not us. What is He like? Well, He loves everyone for who they are. He never forces anyone to love Him. He woos us all with His love for us. He gives all a choice to set their eyes on Him and obey Him because they want to. Sounds so peaceful, right? That is the plan for all mankind. Peace and joy in Him who loves us.
4. Rest is Jesus. He gave you the husband you have. He gave you the children you have. Your husband is a child of God. You are a child of God. Your children are God’s children. Trust your Heavenly Father. He knows what is best and loves you all more than you can imagine. “Set your affections on things above….” He tells us. Where is your focus? Where is your devotion? Where is your allegiance? Where is your sanctuary?
5. Entrust your responsibility as a wife and mother to the One who has given you the job. He is the one responsible. He is the one who will give you everything you need to do the job. It’s not about doing the job perfect. It’s about doing the job with the right focus and motive. When your focus is on yourself and how you are going to do the right thing, you will fail and beat yourself up every time. This gets depressing. This isn’t fun. This isn’t God’s plan. His plan is for you to keep your eyes on Him. What would you have me to do? What would you have me to say? What is the best way to handle this situation?
6. This is a moment by moment relationship. Start on your journey today. You will be amazed at how much control you are clutching to. You will be amazed at how much God loves you. You will be amazed at how close you can become to your Creator. It is amazing! Just start. “What would you have me to do right now, Lord?” Then simply obey. Live in the present. What is going on right now? Because God is in the “right now.” There and only there will you find Him. Take the step of faith for a life of faith. It’s worth it!
I just love to teach my girls lessons using something or someone that they are excited about or interested in. Frozen is all the rage at our house and has been for quite some time. I hear them sing “Let It Go” for breakfast, lunch, and dinner; as well as any snacks in between. They have the hair, they have the cape, they have the voice…..well sort of. So I decided to take this opportunity, while it lasted, and teach something….anything! Right? So I chose to expound on Elsa’s powers. Just remember that I was speaking to little girls when I made this up.
Like Elsa, we (my girls) have powers. And Like Elsa, we have to understand our powers in order not to be afraid of them or to make the wrong choices with our powers. God gave us power. And our power is to choose. We get to decide things. We get to choose paths. We get to choose the path of Love or Hate. Hate freezes everything. Its cold and its sad. It hurts and it kills. Its not very fun is it? When Elsa had the frozen world she was sad; she was afraid she did not understand that she was on that frozen path. When we take the path of hate it is the same way. People get hurt. We are sad. It doesn’t feel good when we are hateful. It spreads like nasty poison, just like the ice in Frozen. It gets worse and worse. Eventually the ice would have killed everyone in Arendale, even Elsa. When she learned about the path of love she took that path right away. She said, “Love will thaw.” Love chases away hate and fear. Love chases away selfishness. Love chases away sorrow and sadness. Because Love is the path that is good. Love is the path that is God.
So what path are you going to take? Elsa’s powers were not bad. She just needed to learn how to use them for good. Elsa was looking like a monster when she was pushing the man out of the ice castle. We all have a monster in us too. We can either choose to tame that monster (the lion that is inside us) and give it a fast crack with the whip saying, “down boy!!”; or we can allow it to raise it’s ugly head to growl and roar and do crazy, terrible things. The end results of hate are death and destruction. The end results of Love are life and grace.
If this is helpful to just “one” person; it will have been worth my writing it. Choose Love!!
NO OTHER LOVE
She’s a young lady who’s having a baby
Her hand strokes the place where her little one grows
Slowly it’s blooming; this feeling inside her
So fierce and so strong that it hurts
No other love is so strong and unyielding
No other love is so patiently wooing
But for the love of our Heavenly Father
His love is the greatest of all
Finally her arms hold life only seconds old
She sighs and says, “This is what I was made for.”
Love so amazing she has for her baby
She’d lay down her life for this one
God blessed the mother with powerful love
It’s a reflection of His precious blood
But for the love of our Heavenly Father
His love is the greatest of all
– Kasey Wood